The geographical area that covers Shirvan (formerly Ali Bayramli), Hajigabul, Sabirabad, Saatli, Imishli and Beylagan districts has been historically called Mugan. In ancient times, the Great Silk Road passed through the area. H. Z. Shirvani gave detailed information about Mugan:
“Mugan is a famous province. It has ancient cities and large districts. It is regarded as part of the fifth climate. Its climate is pleasant and wonderful. In the north, it borders on Shirvan. It also borders on Iran, Talysh and Georgia. They said that this place was founded by a person called Mugan. The area’s population is Shiite. They speak Turkish. They are very kind to people who have come from afar. There are many Shahsevans from the Qizilbash tribe there.”
It is located at a distance of 113 km from Baku. It is situated on the left bank of the Kura River on the Shirvan plain. There used to be large factories here. The region, which was established in 1954, was known as a city of energy workers. It is known for its hydroelectric power station. The city’s fate changed as oil was discovered in the region in 1955. People from all over the Soviet Union started coming here. Later, in 1958-1962, a seven-block power station was opened here, which accelerated the development of the region. The region was called Zubovka until 1924 and Ali Bayramli until 2008.
It is believed that the first settlement in the district was founded by people who resettled here from the village of Aransahverdili in Shamakhy in the 18th century. It is called Zubovka in official documents. V. A. Zubov, who is known as Qizilagac Zubov in history, was commander of the occupying Russian army sent to the Caucasus under Tsarina Catherine II. Zubov came to Shamakhy with his troops, set up a camp here in the winter of 1795 and issued an order to establish a settlement here. The region was to be called the city of Yekaterinoserd in honour of the tsarina. Although work got under way, it was not completed at the appropriate level and therefore, the region was named after the commander – Zubovka. In 1924, it was renamed Ali Bayramli after a revolutionary.
Who is Ali Bayramov?
The revolutionary who was born in Lahij in 1889 was the captain of a ship in the Caspian Sea. He joined the Bolsheviks in 1917. He was assassinated in 1920 when the communists came to power in Azerbaijan.
There is little we can say about the historical and tourist significance of this region. As far as historical monuments are concerned, there is just one here.
The bridge which was built over the River Kura in 1917 is regarded as the district’s most valuable historical monument. Since it was built from wood, it burnt a short while later. It was restored three years later. The second bridge was built in 1962.The requested album cannot be loaded at this time. Error: OAuthException Code: 200, (#200) Missing Permissions