Scattered on mountain slopes, the district, comprised of several Qarabag hamlets, is located on the Agdam-Fizuli highway in a foothill valley. It has a mountainous terrain. It lies at an altitude between 500 and 2725 meters (Great Kirs mountain).
History of occupation
25 historical sites and 12 shrines are under occupation.
On 26 November 1991, the Upper Qarabag Autonomous District was abolished and Xojavand District established instead of Martuni and Hadrut. The district’s terrain is largely mountainous, while in the east and south-east it lies in a foothill plain. The district is rich in grapes and green marble and has many architectural monuments.
There is a Taglar cave, the Ritis fortress in Xojavand and Qirmizi temple (10th century) in Tug village, a fortress on the slopes of the Argunas mountain, the Rzaqulu Bey tomb (13th century) in Dudukcu, an Alban temple (1241) in Boyuk Taglar, etc. Most of them have been seriously damaged as a result of Armenian aggression.
This was the name of an Episcopal center in Caucasian Albania. There is still a same-named river, a monastery and a town here. Their ruins are on the territory of Xojavand on the right bank of the Xonasen river. Early medieval sources mention Amaras in connection with 4th century developments. There is an ancient dwelling here. A temple was built in Amaras in the 6th century where Alban Bishop Grigoris was buried. The place turned into a shrine over time. The place-name is made up of words Amar and As. In an ancient Turkic language Amar meant a river, while As a large tributary.
Nazim Tapdiqoglu Valisov “Xojavand encyclopedia”, Baku-2009, p. 3-20, 73-75