It is the native district of the founder of Azerbaijan’s Ashig poetry, Dirili Dada Qurbani, well-known Ashig Pari and dozens of other folk artists. Jabrayil is often described as home of emerald-green forests and cold water springs. Local people say that Father Jabrayil, who laid the foundation of the Jabrayil village, was a close friend of Ruler Sultan Ahmad who lived in the 8-9th centuries. The area between Ziyarat mountain and the Aras river belonged to Father Jabrayil and his children. When the Qarabag war broke out, the Armenians chose Jabrayil as one of their key targets and eventually seized the district.
History of occupation
90 villages, 30 historical sites and 36 shrines are under occupation.
It is located in the country’s south, in the south-east of the Lesser Caucasus and on the left bank of the Aras river. Bordering on Iran, the district became an administrative district in 1930. It is a mountain district.
The Divlar Sarayi cave located in Nafasli Dara, an area rich in natural products and working tools, was a primitive dwelling. In 1873, Jabrayil and neighboring territories seceded from the Shusha district and an independent Jabrayil province was established within Yelizavetpol. The province, run by a governor-appointed Russian officer, was abolished after the establishment of Soviet power in 1929.
Tariyel Abbasli “Jabrayil scientists”, Baku, Adiloglu publishing house-2008, p. 8
This highest village of the district is considered the gate of Jabrayil. The place-name is believed to relate to the word Sirrik. In ancient times it used to refer to the riches hidden in the mountains. There is no precise information as to when the village was established. There is an unknown fortress 5 km from it. The engraving on it is attributed to the 7th century. The defensive fortress bears the traces of Arab occupation. It is located between Qala Tey and Goy Gadiy mountains facing the south-east of the village. On the east of it there is a thick forest, while on the west it is surrounded by steep rocks. There is a valley below it. There is an ancient Alban cemetery in the village.
Abuzar Abuzarov “Jabrayil’s grief caravan”, Baku, Ulu-2000, p. 8-16
The best-known historical site in the district are the legendary Khodaafarin bridges. Located on the Silk Way and linking the Northern and Southern Azerbaijan, the magnificent Khodaafarin bridges were built over the Aras river in the 7-8th centuries. 800 meters from each other, one of them has 15 and the other 11 spans.The requested album cannot be loaded at this time. Error: OAuthException Code: 200, (#200) Missing Permissions