It is known as the native town of Qachaq Nabi. It has many villages named after Oghuz and Seljuk tribes. Qubadli is one of Azerbaijan’s most beautiful locations. Starting from the 18th century, it was part of the Qarabag khanate, then it was within the Zangezur district, of Yelizavetpol province and in 1920 of the Kurdistan district (together with Lachin and Kalbajar). It was strategically located between Armenia and Upper Qarabag.
History of occupation
95 settlements, 33 historical and architectural sites, 19 shrines are under occupation. Some have been burned, others looted. After the occupation, the district’s population is scattered around five Azerbaijan districts.
In fact, Qubadli faced Armenian aggression even before the Qarabag war. The attempts to pass over to Armenia the historically Qubadli lands of Vali plain and Gulu fields under the pretext of boundary amendments is seen as a hidden reason behind the conflict. The first Azerbaijani refugees driven out of Sisyan, Qafan and Gorus in December 1988 were settled in Qubadli.
Located in the south-east of the Qarabag plateau, the district center is 387 km from Baku. It is Azerbaijan’s least-populated district. Established as an administrative entity in 1933, the district is located on the Bazarchay river. It was joined to Zangilan in 1963 but regained the status of a separate district in 1964. It shares a 120-km border with Armenia. The Yazi plain transforms into the Inci valley here. It is mainly covered with shrubs and meadows. Mountain forests cover an area of 13,200 hectares. A wildlife preserve was established in Qubadli in 1969. The Bargusad and Hakari rivers flow through the district.
There is a same-named mountain range and a river. Another name of the river is Bazarchay. It is located on the territory of Qubadli and Zangilan districts. The highest summit is Aramazd – 3399 meters. The meaning of the place-name has not been explained yet. Sources of the 1850s suggest that there was a Turkic-speaking Bargusad tribe in Nakhichevan. In Safavid times Bargusad was part of the Qizilbash tribe and was named after Bargusad district. The same-named river originates from Arikli mountains. Researchers suggest that the word Bargu relates to the ancient Turkic tribe of Barg. A 1207 march by Mongol ruler Genghis Khan’s son in 1207 led to the seizure of Bargu lands. There are suggestions that the place-name means the mountain and the river of the Bargu.
Nazim Tapdiqoglu Valisov “Qubadli place-names”, Baku-2001, p. 16
It derives its name from the Qubadli district. According to a 1823 source, Qarabag Khan Ibrahimkhalil bought the land plot belonging to the village and presented it to his brother Mehdiqulu Khan. After the north of Azerbaijan was joined to Russia, Gen P. Kotlyarevskiy passed on the ruined village to someone named Haji Agalar. Some sources link Qubadli to 5-6th century Sassanid ruler Qubad the First.
Nazim Tapdiqoglu Valisov “Qubadli place-names”, Baku-2001, p. 28
The Gavur valley is rich in 4th century caves and shrines. The Muradxanli village has Qalali (5th century) and Goy qala (5th century) fortresses, Aliquluusagi and Xocamusaxli villages are noted for Lalazar bridge (1837). There is a Cavansir fortress in the Yazi plain, 16th century tombs in the Damircilar village, Imamzada tombs in the Gurculu village (17th century), Anabat monument in the Seytas village, the Haji Badal bridge (19th century) in the Dondarli village, etc.
Nazim Tapdiqoglu Valisov “Qubadli place-names”, Baku-2001, p. 3
Nazim Tapdiqoglu Valisov “Qubadli place-names”, Baku-2001
S. Agayev, T. Huseynova “Qarabag is the motherland”, Baku, Nasir publishing house-2008
Elbrus Sahmar “My hearth of Qubadli”, Baku, Araz publishing house-1998